Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:08:24 -0500
When we're talking about privacy, it's essential to ask about privacy
from whom for what purpose.    (01)

Most of this thread has addressed privacy from snooping by governments.
But many corporations are *more* powerful than most governments, and
they gather *more* information about us than any government.  For
example, just look at the three major credit unions.    (02)

Even small businesses can abuse the system.  The horror stories are
frightening.  Actual example:  Person X buys something online from
vendor Y, who spams X with requests for a glowing review.  But X
writes an honest review that shows the shortcomings.    (03)

So vendor Y demands that X change or delete the review. But X refuses.
Then Y charges X a penalty (which is stated in the fine print of the
contract and agreed to by a mouse click) for the "inaccurate" review.
X refuses to pay.  So Y keeps adding more interest and penalties to
the charge, reports X to the credit unions, and ruins X's credit.    (04)

I have little trust in governments, but I have a huge negative trust
in corporations.  Even corporations that do their best to be honest
can be hacked by a thief or betrayed by a disgruntled employee.    (05)