Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:56:17 -0500

On 01/20/2014 03:30 PM, John McClure wrote:
> Hii Steve -
> If I understand you correctly that there's a need for a global Secrets
> Repository, no I'm not going there. I am going more in the direction of
> identifying -- for RDF resources and properties of those resources --
> ones 'privacy' expectations. Accountability occurs as a court of law
> levies penalties on those who do not respect the expectations
> communicated to them, per a civil suit having been brought.     (01)

The problem with that idea is that privacy will remain the exclusive
province of those with the wealth necessary to defend it.  Nobody else
will get to have secrets, so their info can be exploited by the wealthy
with impunity.  Also, all *successful* civil suits must demonstrate
*significant* damage to the plaintiff.  I wonder how one could do that.
 Perhaps you're thinking of making a cottage industry for lawyers who
bring class actions against bad actors who are large and wealthy.  That
seems a suboptimal solution to me; it creates a whole new estate, with
all the attendant legal and social complexity, and it doesn't work
against bad actors who lack the necessary vulnerabilities (wealth under
purview of the State).    (02)

If we really want some semblance of privacy, criminal law is simpler to
administer, less costly for the economy, more universally effective,
and, I would argue, far more creatively disruptive, because it protects
the economy's weakest seedlings.  From the perspective of long-term
national prosperity, creative disruption is essential.  It requires a
level playing field, not one that's heavily weighted in favor of the
existing establishment.    (03)