Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:31:57 -0500

Steve,    (02)

I hate to intrude but criminal law?    (03)

On 01/21/2014 08:56 AM, Steve Newcomb wrote:

> On 01/20/2014 03:30 PM, John McClure wrote:
>> Hii Steve -
>>     (04)

...snip...    (05)

> If we really want some semblance of privacy, criminal law is
> simpler to administer, less costly for the economy, more
> universally effective, and, I would argue, far more creatively
> disruptive, because it protects the economy's weakest seedlings.
> From the perspective of long-term national prosperity, creative
> disruption is essential.  It requires a level playing field, not
> one that's heavily weighted in favor of the existing
> establishment.
>
>     (06)

"simpler to administer...less costly for the economy...more
universally effective...protects the economy's weakest seedlings...a
level playing field..."    (07)

aren't phrases used to describe any criminal justice system in the
United States. Maybe somewhere but not here.    (08)

It was the last one, "...a level playing field..." that caught my eye.
Is is a level playing field that petty theft under some habitual
offender statutes result in life sentences whereas stock or wire fraud
means a few years on Club Fed? Or perhaps no prosecution at all, say
for lying to Congress (Clapper).    (09)

If you want a level playing field, decriminalize and abolish civil
liability for invasion of privacy, including all government, industry
and personal information. Let everyone take their chances on an even
basis.    (010)

You do realize that the average person's medical records are of no
interest other than to them, their doctor and perhaps the insurance
company? The only reason for pushing patient privacy is to prevent
effective review of medical practice on a physician by physician basis.
It is the physician who is being protected, not the patient.    (011)

I have to admit physicians have done a better job than the tobacco
industry in creating a right for the average person that protects the
interests of others but good craftsmanship isn't always good social
policy.    (012)

Hope you are having a great day!    (013)

Patrick    (014)

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)    (015)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau