Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:46:55 -0500
On 1/18/14 1:19 PM, John McClure wrote:
> But let's note that privacy expectations must definitely INCLUDE
> whether I wish to allow Google or anyone else to search my content for
> keywords. In other words, it would be a crime for Google to index
> content that I deem private.
You solve that problem by protecting your content. Basically, Google's
user agents (their crawlers) can't access content protected by an ACL.
On the other hand, if you've created content in a Google owned data
space e.g., G+, then you need to get Google to implement a fine-grained
ACL that addresses your needs.    (01)

Google and other Web 2.0 players will not be able to offer fine-grained
ACLs that prevent their agents from accessing your content as part of
the Ad based business models. This is why Gmail, Yahoo!, Microsoft etc..
don't support S/MIME in their hosted mail services.    (02)

Users of these Web 2.0 services have to understand that they can't have
it both ways i.e., expect high-performance and scalable services from
these vendors without accounting for the costs associated with the data
centers that drive these services. There's no such thing as a "free
lunch" as something needs to give in this warped scenario.    (03)

Personally, I envision a time where users ACL protect their content by
way of personal data spaces (or personal data lockers). In this
scenario, which is an inversion of today's model,  Web services
providers will have to negotiate access (free or for a price) with the
content owner. Everything required to make this happen is in place, the
challenge is getting users to invest a little time in understanding
what's actually possible.    (04)

Regards,    (06)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO