Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:23:45 -0800
Hi Michael,
What does the data center being built in Utah portend to you?  Are not
its disk drives *yet another nuclear arsenal*, a physical infrastructure
*forever* a source of illegitimate power? My goal is to obviate /that
data center/ -- I want to smash it and everyone who thought it was the
right weapon against enemies of democracy. Our nuclear arsenal enables
the most atrocious behavior imaginable; our nuclear arsenal is exactly
why our present National Security apparatus was spawned. By gawd I don't
want to create yet another arsenal against democracy! So please if you
have an idea for a better architecture that eliminates the need for that
data center, please suggest.    (01)

Wrt anonymity, once upon a time, neither cars nor drivers were required
to be licensed. Telephones were party lines. Income and wealth were
anonymous (hell there's a proposal out there to remove the anonynity of
money itself). And ya know criminals demand anonynmity right? And we
can't monitor your so-called spooks if they are anonymous.  But most
important is that privacy cannot be granted to anonymous owners - how
could that possibly happen? These are not word games, there's a reality
here that I'm trying honestly to figure how best to deal with it. Cries
for anonymity! anonymity! seem sophomoric if not downright childish to
me on closer examination (and I've been saying just that easy thing for
a long time too).    (02)

Wrt red-flag words like 'state surveillance' -- I do think the more
appropriate red flag term for the proposed architecture is 'selective
snitching'. I see its operational mechanisms required to be on all
servers awarded fixed IP addresses (oops, there's another bit of
non-anonymity, right)  and enforced transactionally by their ISPs (who
have their own 'licensing' process). This is precisely the SS7 protocol
that I've mentioned in a previous note, that I believe is now necessary
to design and build; it is a 'privacy platform'.    (03)

regards/jmc    (04)