Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:42:01 -0500
On 1/17/14 10:06 AM, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 08:55 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> [Privacy] could die if we give up the fight, but I don't think we've lost the
>> fight just yet. Our biggest challenge is getting to a point where users
>> of networked technologies invest some interest in understanding the
>> digital super-information-highway code. Should we get to the
>> aforementioned point, it becomes a lot easier to educate legislators
>> about how existing laws need to evolve in alignment with technology
>> advances etc..
> I don't think you've understood the full import of the Der Spiegel
> revelations.    (01)

Of course I did. If you look at my tweet stream of G+ posts, I pretty
much commented on it way back. I am fully aware of the issues exposed in
that presentation.    (02)

>    The question of whether you're connected to anything, via
> any pipe or no pipe, is now irrelevant.    (03)

No it isn't, if if they are all compromised. This is where good law
comes into play i.e., law based on a proper understanding of the
technology landscape.    (04)

>   All bit buckets are now
> unknowably porous to parties unknowable.    (05)

Yes, but that doesn't make the vulnerabilities and their sources
invisible. We humans might think we are clever, but hubris is something
we are yet to successfully surmount.

> Unless, of course, you can tightly control all the silicon foundries and
> other manufacturing operations that produce every single piece of your
> hardware -- even the USB cables and the decorative plastic parts, and
> all the shipping involved.    (06)

No, I would flip it around by looking to trails and transparency which
make violations of modern laws easier to identify.    (07)

>   Today, at least, that's just not possible,
> and it probably won't be possible until everybody can 3-D print every
> piece of their own hardware from open-source designs.  (While that may
> indeed happen someday, such a conjecture changes none of the facts now
> on the ground.)
>
> So, the fight to save privacy is already over, because no rules can
> control technology and nobody can tell, any more, how porous their
> facilities are.  No person or institution is immune.  It's very hard to
> accept, isn't it?    (08)

Some of us might have always assumed this. There are still many paranoid
security folks out there that assumed all of this the moment the
Internet became mainstream.    (09)

> Appelbaum's presentation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA)
> shows catalog pictures of spookware for projecting high density fluxes
> of microwave energy suitable for powering RFID-like semiconductors.
> Since most of us work near bit buckets, I suppose it might be a good
> idea to invest in some microwave flux monitoring equipment.  For health
> reasons, mainly, but also for curiosity's sake.    (010)

All isn't over, I am pretty confident about that, as long as humans are
involved. Folks just need to wake up!    (011)

Kingsley

--     (013)

Regards,    (014)

Kingsley Idehen