Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 21:09:34 -0500
On 01/16/2014 03:59 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Data is a perishable good, its utterly dependent on context for real
> utility. Thus, once are (back) in control of the time varying nature of
> our data we basically recalibrate this nasty situation.    (01)

Alas, Kingsley, that's what I thought, too, until December 31, when I
saw Jacob Appelbaum's 1-hour presentation of the recent Der Spiegel
revelations -- revelations that at last were worriedly referenced by
NYT's David Sanger and PBS's Gwen Ifill on the PBS Newshour only last
night.    (02)

Forget the internet; forget malware; the *hardware* has back doors, and
you can't detect them.  There is RFID-like technology, which, when
suffused with sufficient microwave energy, allegedly can broadcast data
from, and inject malware into, even offline digital devices.
Appelbaum's entire disillusioning presentation is well worth the hour
required to view it, but if you're pressed for time, the most
mindblowing stuff starts at minute 57.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA    (03)

So, I do not think I exaggerate when I say privacy is dead.  We all have
many illusions to abandon, and, I fear, not a whole lot of time to adapt
our cultures to the new modalities of power before the inevitable
corruption makes orderly adaptation even harder.    (04)