Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological issues relative to privacy.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:06:29 -0500
On 01/17/2014 08:55 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> [Privacy] could die if we give up the fight, but I don't think we've lost the
> fight just yet. Our biggest challenge is getting to a point where users
> of networked technologies invest some interest in understanding the
> digital super-information-highway code. Should we get to the
> aforementioned point, it becomes a lot easier to educate legislators
> about how existing laws need to evolve in alignment with technology
> advances etc..    (01)

I don't think you've understood the full import of the Der Spiegel
revelations.  The question of whether you're connected to anything, via
any pipe or no pipe, is now irrelevant.  All bit buckets are now
unknowably porous to parties unknowable.    (02)

Unless, of course, you can tightly control all the silicon foundries and
other manufacturing operations that produce every single piece of your
hardware -- even the USB cables and the decorative plastic parts, and
all the shipping involved.  Today, at least, that's just not possible,
and it probably won't be possible until everybody can 3-D print every
piece of their own hardware from open-source designs.  (While that may
indeed happen someday, such a conjecture changes none of the facts now
on the ground.)    (03)

So, the fight to save privacy is already over, because no rules can
control technology and nobody can tell, any more, how porous their
facilities are.  No person or institution is immune.  It's very hard to
accept, isn't it?    (04)

Appelbaum's presentation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA)
shows catalog pictures of spookware for projecting high density fluxes
of microwave energy suitable for powering RFID-like semiconductors.
Since most of us work near bit buckets, I suppose it might be a good
idea to invest in some microwave flux monitoring equipment.  For health
reasons, mainly, but also for curiosity's sake.    (05)