Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:20:47 +0200

Hello Leo,    (01)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:27:37PM +0000, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> [Leo: ] What is this work? Can you point me to it? Reification has always
>been an issue because there's limited semantics for it, unless you provide an
>ontology for reifying, I guess. Statements require some propositional attitude
>semantics, no? The syntactic graph structure is there, for reification, but
>that's it, right? This is my understanding.
> I refer to: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#Reif:
> "A reification of a triple does not entail the triple, and is not entailed by
>it. (The reification only says that the triple token exists and what it is
>about, not that it is true. ..."    (02)

I am not sure if Kingsley is talking about triple reification but Dougs
DougFsGuttenbergBorrowing example was property reification (introducing a
class for the relation) instead of triple reification. Dougs example is the
standard way to express n-ary relations with triples:    (03)

http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/    (04)

This document states "The task force plans to produce a suggested vocabulary
for describing that a class represents an n-ary relation and for defining
mappings between n-ary relations in RDF and OWL and other languages. A note
on this vocabulary is forthcoming.". I wonder what became out of those plans.    (05)

BTW: If the n-ary relation behind a property reification can be simplified
into a binary relation (e.G. DougF borrowed GuttenbergBibleCopy3), you can
make use of this vocabulary:     (06)

 http://www.w3.org/wiki/PropertyReificationVocabulary    (07)

Regards,    (08)

Michael Brunnbauer    (09)