Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:36:59 +0100
Dear Doug,    (01)

I think this is an important point.    (02)

DF> The more that people reuse existing URIs instead of inventing their own,
the
> more utility the massive tuple stores can provide.    (03)

MW: One of the things I try to promote is the idea of an authoritative
source, so not only are there relatively few URIs for the same thing, but
there is a natural preference for which one to use. So to cross threads, if
we are looking for what URI to use to identify  Ferrari 458 Italia, the one
Ferrari uses should be preferred, because they are clearly the authoritative
source.    (04)

MW: This has the corollary that authoritative sources have the
responsibility to create URIs for the things they are responsible for.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)