Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:45:07 -0400
On 7/11/12 3:55 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
>>> That still does not handle the missing owl:sameAs assertions,
>> >I don't have a problem handling owl:sameAs, owl:equivalentClass,
>> >owl:equivalentProperty etc.. re. a massive datasets we oversee.
> The issue i tried to raise is that when different people create different
> URIs to have what turns out to be the same meaning and do not
> specify any owl:sameAs/owl:equivalentClass/owl:equivalentProperty
> relationships, the advantage obtained from massive tuple stores
> collected from diverse locations is reduced.    (01)

In RDF a URI denotes something.
In Linked Data a URI is de-referencable. Thus, it has the dual function
(delivered by explicit or implicit indirection) of denoting something
while also identifying a Web resource based simulacrum [1].    (02)

> The more that people reuse existing URIs instead of inventing their own,
> the more utility the massive tuple stores can provide.    (03)

No.    (04)

People should be free to publish data with ease [2][3]. Other
technologies in the stack can deliver value in the form of coreference
reconciliation etc..    (05)

Links:    (06)

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacrum    (07)

2. http://bit.ly/MYLsMu -- deploying Linked Data via DropBox (everyone
should be able to do this without owning a domain or web server, at
least at first blush)    (08)

3. http://bit.ly/MgSz3F -- ditto via an Amazon S3 bucket.

> -- doug f
>    (09)