Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:45:53 -0400
On 7/11/2012 3:55 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
> The more that people reuse existing URIs instead of inventing their own,
> the more utility the massive tuple stores can provide.    (01)

I agree wholeheartedly.  The consensus among people who process large
volumes of NL documents is that the best URI to use for each word is
the character string that appears in the document.    (02)

Named entity recognizers are very useful for resolving things like
"John F. Kennedy", "The President", "President Kennedy", "Jack", etc.
But even then, those annotations should be treated as defeasible
assumptions rather than sacrosanct URIs    (03)

But for the overwhelming majority of common nouns, verbs, etc., it is
worse than useless to try to map them to URIs that might represent
some supposed "word sense".  Those mappings are almost never correct.    (04)