Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:25:50 -0400
On Tue, July 10, 2012 12:31, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 7/10/12 12:08 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
>> On Sun, July 8, 2012 16:43, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>> I think that URIs have already laid the seed for success. Its the
>>> kernel
>>> of the World Wide Web of documents, and it also facilitates a similar
>>> Web of structured data. Personally, I don't think we need a design
>>> competition, we just need to find a way to get everyone to see the
>>> common ground that URIs provide -- when applied to structured data --
>>> at Web-scale.    (01)

>> One problem with URIs in the linked data community is coreferencing.
>> Time and again new URIs are generated for things (individuals, classes,
>> relations) for which URIs already exist.    (02)

> No, that's an actual feature. You can deal with coreferences via
> owl:sameAs or owl:inverseFunctionalProperty based reasoning and/or
> custom rules.    (03)

That's extra computation for those who know of the equivalences, and
missing for those who don't.  Consider the computational complexity for
reasoning with owl:sameAs.    (04)

> Have many routes to the same data objects is never a bad thing.    (05)

Actually, it is different data objects which (may) refer to the same thing.    (06)

Many government view it to be a bad thing if there are many social
security number data elements to the same data object (person).    (07)

>>> If we the world has come to appreciate Hypertext, why can't it do the
>>> same with Hyperdata -- what entity-attribute-value model enhanced
>>> with de-referencable URIs delivers under the Linked Data moniker?    (08)

>> The triple model does not restrict the initial term ("entity") to be an
>> individual, which the word here somewhat suggests.  Nor need the
>> "value" term be narrowly restricted".    (09)

> It implies a denoted observation subject.    (010)

"Subject" is what i suggested below.  But i'm unsure what you mean by
"observational" subject.    (011)

>>    (Diamond formedBy CrystallizationProcess)
>> Hyperdata also does not have to be restricted to triples:
>>    (DougF borrowedFrom GuttenbergBibleCopy3 LibraryOfCongress)
>> Maybe subject-verb-object* would be a better description.    (012)

> You've played around with literals that denote slots in a particular
> type of 3-tuple, the semantics to the triple in question hasn't changed.    (013)

That's a 4-tuple, not a 3-tuple; not a triple.  In this case we could
reify the
borrowing and create a mass of 3-tuples (slots of a LibraryBorrowing event):
   (DougFsGuttenbergBorrowing owl:Type LibraryBorrowing)
   (DougFsGuttenbergBorrowing borrower DougF)
   (DougFsGuttenbergBorrowing lender LibraryOfCongress)
   (DougFsGuttenbergBorrowing borrowedItem GuttenbergBibleCopy3)    (014)

Trying to express
    (Object1 spatiallyBetween Object2 Object3)
using only triples is even trickier.  But if all you have is a hammer,
you can try to make a nail out of the problem.    (015)

>>> If we can just get beyond "rip and replace" narratives and then orient
>>> towards full appreciation of the technology innovation continuum within
>>> which this all exists, the rest will fall into place quite naturally.    (016)

>>> I think we call all use the URI as a common foundation for broad
>>> agreement re. data access, integration, and representation :-)\    (017)

>> I suggest emphasizing the use of URIs from standard predefined
>> ontologies and term sets as much as possible.    (018)

> We should always encourage reuse when building anything.    (019)

Agreed.    (020)

>>    Much of what one wants to
>> refer to already has URIs -- in UMLS, SUMO, GeoNames, Gene Ontology,
>> DBpedia, and Cyc, for example.    (021)

> But you can't assume or mandate that.    (022)

Where do you find "assume" or "mandate" in "emphasiz[e] the use of
URIs from standard predefined ontologies"?    (023)

> People will coalesce around what
> works best for them and their respective problem domains. We always get
> into trouble when we mandate things to fellow humans :-)    (024)

Such as the use of URIs, triples, and RDF?    (025)

Actually, i find this comment ironic from someone who started the thread
with "we just need to find a way to get everyone to see the common
ground that URIs provide".    (026)

>> Individual people who have been active on the web also are
>> likely to have multiple URIs referencing them already.    (027)

> Of course, and that's a very good thing, IMHO.    (028)

It's good for people who want to make it harder for disparate information
about them to be brought together in one dossier.  However, most linked-
data advocates want to be able to assemble knowledge from sources which
were unaware of each other.    (029)

-- doug foxvog    (030)