Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 16:43:33 -0400
On 7/7/12 9:03 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Future directions:  It's time to rethink the foundations.  Google,
> for example, is doing that.  They hired R. V. Guha, the original
> designer (with Tim Bray) of RDF.  But their vision treats RDF,
> OWL, and SPARQL as legacy software.  I believe that we need an
> open design competition to determine how to proceed from here.    (01)

I think that URIs have already laid the seed for success. Its the kernel
of the World Wide Web of documents, and it also facilitates a similar
Web of structured data. Personally, I don't think we need a design
competition, we just need to find a way to get everyone to see the
common ground that URIs provide -- when applied to structured data -- at
Web-scale.    (02)

If we the world has come to appreciate Hypertext, why can't it do the
same with Hyperdata -- what entity-attribute-value model enhanced with
de-referencable URIs delivers under the Linked Data moniker?    (03)

If we can just get beyond "rip and replace" narratives and then orient
towards full appreciation of the technology innovation continuum within
which this all exists, the rest will fall into place quite naturally.    (04)

I think we call all use the URI as a common foundation for broad
agreement re. data access, integration, and representation :-)    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software