Re: [ontolog-forum] URIs [was: Truth]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:31:52 -0400
On 7/10/12 12:08 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
> On Sun, July 8, 2012 16:43, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> I think that URIs have already laid the seed for success. Its the kernel
>> of the World Wide Web of documents, and it also facilitates a similar
>> Web of structured data. Personally, I don't think we need a design
>> competition, we just need to find a way to get everyone to see the
>> common ground that URIs provide -- when applied to structured data -- at
>> Web-scale.
> One problem with URIs in the linked data community is coreferencing.
> Time and again new URIs are generated for things (individuals, classes,
> relations) for which URIs already exist.    (01)

No, that's an actual feature. You can deal with coreferences via
owl:sameAs or owl:inverseFunctionalProperty based reasoning and/or
custom rules.    (02)

Have many routes to the same data objects is never a bad thing.    (03)

>> If we the world has come to appreciate Hypertext, why can't it do the
>> same with Hyperdata -- what entity-attribute-value model enhanced with
>> de-referencable URIs delivers under the Linked Data moniker?
> The triple model does not restrict the initial term ("entity") to be an
> individual, which the word here somewhat suggests.  Nor need the
> "value" term be narrowly restricted".    (04)

It implies a denoted observation subject.    (05)

>    (Diamond formedBy CrystallizationProcess)
> Hyperdata also does not have to be restricted to triples:
>    (DougF borrowedFrom GuttenbergBibleCopy3 LibraryOfCongress)
> Maybe subject-verb-object* would be a better description.    (06)

You've played around with literals that denote slots in a particular
type of 3-tuple, the semantics to the triple in question hasn't changed.    (07)

>> If we can just get beyond "rip and replace" narratives and then orient
>> towards full appreciation of the technology innovation continuum within
>> which this all exists, the rest will fall into place quite naturally.
>>
>> I think we call all use the URI as a common foundation for broad
>> agreement re. data access, integration, and representation :-)
> I suggest emphasizing the use of URIs from standard predefined ontologies
> and term sets as much as possible.    (08)

We should always encourage reuse when building anything.
>    Much of what one wants to
> refer to already has URIs -- in UMLS, SUMO, GeoNames, Gene Ontology,
> DBpedia, and Cyc, for example.    (09)

But you can't assume or mandate that. People will coalesce around what
works best for them and their respective problem domains. We always get
into trouble when we mandate things to fellow humans :-)    (010)

>    Individual people who have been active
> on the web also are likely to have multiple URIs referencing them already.    (011)

Of course, and that's a very good thing, IMHO.    (012)

Kingsley

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen