Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:56:15 -0400
On Sun, July 8, 2012 22:11, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2012, at 3:41 PM, Jack Park wrote:    (01)

>> It seems to me that if "MorningStar" is the name given to Venus when
>> it is visible in the morning
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Star) and if "EveningStar" is
>> the name given to Venus when visible in the evening (linked from same
>> Wikipedia entry),    (02)

> OK so far.    (03)

Agreed.  Note further that the name "Morning Star" can be given to
Mercury when it is visible in the morning (and -- unstated -- Venus is not).    (04)

>> then, at least when representing Venus as a topic
>> (class) in a topic map    (05)

> AFAIK, topic maps have no coherent semantics, but it seems very odd
> to say that a planet is a class. While not strictly illegal in OWL-Full,
this
> would be very bad ontology design (and it is illegal in OWL-DL).    (06)

Agreed.  A class is something that can have instances.  A planet can not.
However, MorningStar can be a class.  At certain times Venus is the sole
instance of that class.  At other times Mercury is the sole instance of that
class.  Perhaps when neither of them are visible in a clear morning sky,
some other object would fall within the class definition, e.g. "the last
natural visible object that is visually similar to an extra-solar system star
before the sky becomes two bright in the morning."    (07)

>> , both are used as *scoped* names for that object.    (08)

> I have no idea what ypou mean by a scoped name.    (09)

It seems to me that he means that in certain contexts that name
refers to that object, but in others it does not.    (010)

> Names in the RDF language family are IRIs, so have no local scope.    (011)

The scope (context) is not for the name, but for the name being a
referent for a specific object.  You certainly aren't suggesting that
RDF can not have IRIs such as .../PresidentOfIreland or .../KingOfNorway.    (012)

-- doug f    (013)