Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth (and standards bodies)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:46:39 +0200

Hello John,    (01)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:24:44PM -0400, John F Sowa wrote:
> I blame the "Decidability Thought Police" (i.e., the DL theoreticians)
> for derailing many valuable aspects of this proposal.    (02)

On the one hand, you want more expressive power and on the other hand, you say
that most of the SW does not go beyond Aristotle.    (03)

Do you really think without the "Decidability Thought Police", people would
actually go beyond Aristotle ?    (04)

>  I believe that
> the "engineers" -- people who implement AI systems that other people
> actually use -- were more knowledgeable about the requirements and
> the methods for implementing them than the theoreticians who insisted
> on restricting the expressive power of OWL.    (05)

If we see the SW as "AI system", we have already lost. When a colleague of
mine saw the specs for the first time, he said "Ah... they want to repeat the
failure of the expert systems".    (06)

My fear is that the SW actually is an "expert system" - that you will always
need ontology experts to get your data in.    (07)

Regards,    (08)

Michael Brunnbauer    (09)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer