Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "Ontolog-forum" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:29:19 -0400
On Tue, July 10, 2012 14:47, Chris Menzel wrote:
> I completely agree that the planet Venus is not a class and hence that it
> has no instances (although there is of course a class whose sole instance
> is Venus).    (01)

If that class were intensionally defined, one could probably generate a
hypothetical world in which that class had multiple instances, a different
instance, or no instances.    (02)

> But whatever one thinks about that, I think it's pretty clear
> one must make room for classes that can have no instances.    (03)

Certainly classes that logically can have no instances should be accepted.
This is not what i meant.  I meant by "a class can have instances" that a
class is a valid argument to an "instance of" predicate.  One could,
using the appropriate logical formalism, hypothesize an instance of the
class, maybe assign it some additional properties, and then apply logic
to determine whether the situation was logically consistent.    (04)

This could not be done with an individual such as Venus.    (05)

-- doug    (06)