Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:36:28 -0400

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 7, 2012, at 8:03 AM, John F Sowa wrote:

> Fundamental error:  Any project with the word 'semantics' in the
> title must be based on logic.

You and I know that. Guha knows that. Tim B-L knows that. But there are 10|4 people out there who not only don't know that, but are passionately opposed to it and will work tirelessly for years to undermine your efforts and oppose you are every turn, if you try to base any standard on logic. When Guha and I wrote the Lbase proposal, the RDF WG kindly, with the air of a patient and benevolent auntie, allowed us to publish it under their auspices. It had as much influence as a fart on Sunday.

So too, when Joaquin Miller and Kevin Tyson and I proposed that UML 2 be based on type theory with Henkin semantics.

William Frank

413/376-8167