[ontolog-forum] Representing models in ontologies.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Juan de Nadie <juandenavas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:23:06 -0300
Hi!

Recently I have encoountered a problem in my ontology engineering project. Sometimes we must represent the notion of models in the ontology. Let us consider the domains of cars, robots and aircrafts, for example.

In the car domain, we have the concept of car as a root node in a taxonomy of types of cars. Let us suppose that the cars can be "family cars" or "sport cars". What is the suitable way to model different models of "family cars" and "sport cars"? Let us consider the "Ferrari 458 Italia". I consider this model as a concept that specializes the "sport car" concept in my ontology? Or is more suitable consider an attribute of the concept "car" called "model"?

There is some ontology design pattern to model these cases?

Thanks.