Re: [ontolog-forum] Representing models in ontologies.

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:00:09 +0100
Dear Juan,    (01)

Regarding "Ferrari 458 Italia" as a specialization of sports car
seems reasonable to me.    (02)

However the important information is that this class is a "model" as
defined by the marketing department. Probably the manufacturing
department has a different taxonomy, where instances of many
different classes can be sold as "Ferrari 458 Italia" because they
look similar on the outside. So perhaps we have in Turtle:    (03)

:myCar          a                       ferrari:458Italia .    (04)

ferrari:458Italia               rdfs:subClassOf         :sportsCar ;
:ClassOfArtifactDefinedByTheMarketingDepartment .    (05)

Best regards,
David    (06)

At 19:23 10/07/2012, Juan de Nadie wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Recently I have encoountered a problem in my ontology engineering
>project. Sometimes we must represent the notion of models in the
>ontology. Let us consider the domains of cars, robots and aircrafts,
>for example.
>
>In the car domain, we have the concept of car as a root node in a
>taxonomy of types of cars. Let us suppose that the cars can be
>"family cars" or "sport cars". What is the suitable way to model
>different models of "family cars" and "sport cars"? Let us consider
>the "Ferrari 458 Italia". I consider this model as a concept that
>specializes the "sport car" concept in my ontology? Or is more
>suitable consider an attribute of the concept "car" called "model"?
>
>There is some ontology design pattern to model these cases?
>
>Thanks.

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx