Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:49:00 +0300
John,    (01)

your remarks made me convinced that it is confusing to use the term
'universal'  as Armstrong does in both (1) realized properties sense &
(2) the one over many sense as a general type. Armstrong may have
adapted the sense 1 because of the following reason. Whatever property
is universal in the sense of 2, is also a realized property. One
source of the confusion is that not every realized property is as
universal/general in the sense 2.    (02)

I also agree that the term 'trope' should be used only as a historical
reference. As a historical note, at least one reason for tropes is to
function as a reaction against the so-called state of affairs
ontologies, where state of affairs = property + the particular where
the property is realized. In one sense (A), there is really no need to
distinguish a property from a particular, but in another sense (B)
there is.    (03)

A. a realized property is identical to its interrelated constituents,
and thus there is no need for the term 'particular' here.    (04)

B. it is difficult to not to talk about particulars such as rocks and
trees. What would you call these then?    (05)

In the sense of B, particulars have several properties on the same
level. For instance, a rock has a total mass and a total geometrical
form. One strategy is to call such particulars bundles of properties.    (06)

Avril    (07)

Lainaus "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (08)

Avril Styrman
+358 40 7000 589    (010)