Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:37:40 -0400
On 7/10/2012 2:49 PM, Avril Styrman wrote:
> For instance, a rock has a total mass and a total geometrical form. One
> strategy is to call such particulars bundles of properties.    (01)

I would insist on distinguishing flesh & blood things in the real world
from the way we describe them in some notation.  My cat Yojo is much
more that just a bundle of properties.  Most people are too.    (02)

But if your notation can only represent bundles such as    (03)

    {p1, p2, p3, ...}    (04)

then you might assume a one-to-one association between them and the
real world things.  But you should always keep in mind that those
things behave in much more complex and unpredictable ways than
your little bundle notation.    (05)