Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 20:22:45 -0700

Hans wrote:

However, outcome-based ethicists don’t like this focus on a few simple behavioral rules  because that allows for unequal results for similar efforts in a broad range of domains of human endeavor, and doesn’t handle tragedy or unfortunate events well.

That is true, and needs to be dealt with at some point, but that can be taken care of in other ways.  I don’t see how that problem can be solved by any simple set of behavioral rules.  But the nonsimple ones have to come later, after we have an adequate and sufficient system for recursion of the simple embodiment.

The bottom line is that we will always struggle with the right yin/yang balancing act between regulations/laws that assure broadly desired outcomes and rules/laws that focus on equal treatment of people and institutions (no matter the outcome resulting from such equal treatment by the law/force). This is further complicated be law/force).

Absolutely true.  But that is the purpose of the judiciary, to perform that balancing act against the legal structure of the moment.  Even though there will always be a balancing act, lets plan ways to control the balance, like the two wheel scooter turned into control system the rider (I forget its name).

With a constitutional amendment, the judiciary would have some teeth to close around infringements of our liberties in those areas.  Whether it’s the individual political players we identified in the ontology so far, or individuals acting on their own, or corporate or NGO actions, the amendment should name remedies that can be used, and causes under which the players can be sued for costs plus damages when the amendment is violated.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com