Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 09:00:39 -0500
Rich, I really have no idea what you talking about. It was probably wrong of me
to attempt to intercede. Good luck with whatever y'all think you are doing
here.     (01)

On Jun 7, 2012, at 8:48 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:    (02)

> Pat Hayes wrote:
>
> [RG]> In our emerging self interest ontology, I believe we can define an
>agent in one semantically precise sentence.  Perhaps the sentence :
>

> > “an agent pursues self interest as the agent herself defines it.”
>

> > will do the job.
>
> [PH] Well, it has several flaws. Chielfy, it says nothing, Consider a rock
>lying on the ground, for example. This rock's self interest is to lie on the
>ground, and it is pursuing this successfully. We know that this is the rock's
>self interest since this is what the rock is doing, and if its self interest
>were something else then it would be doing that and not be doing this, by
>definition. Ergo, the rock is an agent. Similarly, every other thing in the
>uiniverse is an agent, and they are all pusuing their self-interest goals.
>Which is, of course, absolutely meaningless.
>
> [RC again]  Thank you for pointing that out.  Remember the Tabula Rasa idea?
>We start with something that is semantically meaningless, at least TO US
>unbiased objective Agents in this here posse.
>
> We don't want to bias our observation before we make it.  There is a
>database; that is all we know about it at the start of the Activity.  So the
>first thing we know about an Activity, i.e. an Agent, i.e. Event, or any other
>thingette is that there is a database in it.
>

> Are you with me so far?      (03)

No. You are mot making even the SLIGHTEST sense. This entire thread reads to me
like a mixture of outright insanity and bad politics. It does not seem to have
anything at all to do with ontologies, so I wonder why it is on the ontolog
forum.     (04)

Pat    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)