Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:46:01 +0300
JS: "In my own case, I learned an enormous amount of science and
math from my father, but he was a terrible teacher.  Whenever
he tried to teach me, he did it in the most excruciatingly
boring way imaginable.  On the other hand, he was always
willing to answer any questions I had.  So my most important
learning was by doing my own reading and asking him questions.    (01)

None of those famous people you cited above acquired their
expertise just by reading.  They had all tested their learning
through interactions with other people and the world."    (02)

John,
Your interesting reasoning support my meaning of autodidactism:
"It is self-development, self-learning, and self-education,  mastering
schooling and formal training."
The formal training without deep self-learning is as bad as the
self-learning without the formal traning.
Also, we need to set apart autodidactism and dilettantism, particularly in
ontology.
You mentioned many cases. We know 'the formal logicians' who never read even
Aristotle, so deluding themselves that formal ontology is a version of
formal logic and ontology engineering is just a FOL engineering.
Re. the big minds and notable autodidacts mentioned, there is an interesting
article on Autodidactism backing my points,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodidact. Also a classic novel on ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayy_ibn_Yaqdhan
Azamat    (03)