Re: [ontolog-forum] New member / observer

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:55:40 +0100
Hi Ron,    (01)

Thanks for the endorsement - I've corresponded with Elizabeth now and
that looks like a great connection.    (02)

Our presentation in the slides was quite ambitious because Bill and I
were trying to highlight two important questions - how we achieve an
ontology for financial services, and how this can be used in a practical
way in relation to real data problems within financial firms. So one of
those is happening and the other ought to happen but isn't yet.    (03)

There is so much to get right in such a small window of time. I just
came off the phone with one of the architects of one of the financial
industry messaging standards, and many folks are despairing of getting
much value or traction out of some of these standards. My take on this
is that many of these efforts were driven from the technical side
without someone understanding how basic development methodology requires
a good linkage between the business problem and the technical solution.
In the case of data and message standards, the business problem is
surely the semantics of the data that will go into messages and things.
For this reason, I find it odd that all standards groups aren't, by
default, looking to create an ontology of their terms. This to me is far
more important than the whizzy new stuff one may or may not be able to
do with OWL/Web3.0 and all that New New Thing stuff that's talked about.    (04)

Hopefully that puts our presentation into some context.    (05)

Mike    (06)

--
Mike Bennett
Director