Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:55:45 -0500
On Apr 17, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Joel Bender wrote:
> [Pat Hayes wrote:]
>> In case anyone cares, this message is to put on public record that
>> I am no longer monitoring the email traffic sent to this forum.
>
> That's unfortunate. When you have replied to postings about some
> reference being an "interesting read" I've found it doubly important
> to follow up on that reference.
>
> Similarly, I'm interested in hearing about progress on your work to
> "rigorously axiomatize a mereology of continuants, and hopefully
> this will result in a rigorous mapping between (axiomatizations of)
> the two frameworks".
>
>> The overall level of discussion has been reduced...
>
> I would agree that some discussion threads are a chorus of beating
> heads against brick walls. Some threads should whither and die, and
> they will.
>
>> Peter: maybe this suggests why a completely open forum isn't such a
>> good idea?
>
> Open forums are a way for n00bs (a.k.a. newbies) like me that are
> surfing the noosphere to ask questions.  Every once in a while I'm
> going
> to mumble and grumble about barriers (organizational, political,
> economic, etc) that will lead to some heated responses.  To that I
> apologize.  Closed forums can't teach me anything.    (01)

Joel,    (02)

There is a big difference between a closed forum and a moderated
forum.  Posts from n00bs are generally welcome in moderated forums.
The point of moderation is to keep passionate debates from erupting
into flame wars and to prevent cranks and other self-designated
geniuses who are convinced that they've single-handedly solved all the
problems to which the forum is devoted from overwhelming the groups
with their ignorant nonsense.  Unfortunately, moderation is a huge and
largely thankless task.    (03)

> As for the soapbox's, grandstanding, etc., I have found that email
> filters that mark some source address with labels and colors work
> well.  I have a light gray that makes the message almost
> disappear :-).    (04)

A good individualistic policy, but it unfortunately doesn't prevent
the general reputation of a group from being sullied as a hangout for
trolls and cranks and hence a place where no serious discussion takes
place.    (05)

Chris Menzel    (06)