Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:48:42 -0400
Ed,    (01)

I strongly believe in giving credit where credit is due.    (02)

So I would cite Adolf Lindenbaum, who nearly 80 years ago observed
that all the theories that can be stated in a given logic naturally
fall into a generalization hierarchy.  The usual name for such a
hierarchy is 'Lindenbaum lattice'.    (03)

JFS> That was the point of my note on methodology, which emphasizes
 > the distinctions as more fundamental than the particular choice
 > of categories.    (04)

EB> Now that we are all in violent agreement, I would point out
 > that Amanda said it first:    (05)

AV> The best way to develop an upper ontology may be to let it emerge.
 > Pursue applied ontology projects as described above, and bring in
 > the upper (and upper-middle) as they are needed. Bring in higher
 > level concepts as you need them to connect concepts across domains,
 > to model the logical behavior and other characteristics of the
 > domain-specific concepts, to avoid redundant and oddly-placed
 > assertions on domain concepts that can accurately be placed on
 > shared concepts shared across the domains.    (06)

Yes, indeed.  Amanda has stated the point very nicely.    (07)

But no matter who gets credit for it, I am delighted to hear that you
approve of that approach.  To add a bit more detail to the proposal,
I am including excerpts from some emails that I sent to ontolog-forum
earlier this year.  (They're not in chronological order because I
moved some of the more detailed theoretical discussions to the end.)    (08)

John    (09)