Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:10:14 -0400
One *gentle* dissent here.
   I don't disagree that finding commonalities in a gradual process is
possible, I just think it is **much too slow** to be a practical tactic.  I
do note that it is the path of least resistance, since it will allow
everyone currently getting funding to continue doing what they know how to
do and get funded (and individual academic credit) for it.  That tactic
would gain some credibility if, after all these years of working in that
direction,  there were in fact some local systems developed separately for
different domains that have successfully interoperated (i.e., allowing
automated inference from external information to draw useful conclusions).
Thus far I haven't seen any examples.  If there are any, I hope those who
promote the gradual-lets-find-something-in-common tactic would point us to
those examples where we can do some testing to see for ourselves just how
well it works.    (01)

But if you are convinced, as I am, that there are substantial *costs* to
delaying the arrival of an agreed common ontology, or accurately mapped set
of ontologies, then it makes a great deal of sense to *also* try the
alternative tactic of directly funding a large group to develop a Foundation
ontology and extensions that they can use to interoperate, with separately
developed programs in different domains sharing information useful for
automated inference.  That would be the goal of the common Foundation
Ontology project I have suggested.  It has all the desiderata claimed for
the gradual process, but would move a lot faster.  Alas, it would require as
much funding for the one project as for thirty separate local projects. I
just think it will accomplish a lot more for interoperability than thirty
separate local projects, even if they try some post-hoc mapping.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416