Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:31:29 -0400

RHM: > We will advance the state of the art more quickly by building useful
single ontologies for particular applications, instead of searching for an
upper ontology which is suitable for all applications.    (02)

[PC]  That would definitely be helpful.  But since there are no such
practical applications yet accessible to the general public, my suggestion
for a Foundation Ontology project includes the development of some practical
applications, among which I would recommend a basic natural Language
capability (5-6 year old English speaker) and integration of several
databases as examples.  These efforts would in my expectation be synergistic
and would benefit from the integrating effect of the common FO.  If we want
real practical applications **available to public inspection**, the public
is going to have to pay for it.    (03)

[John Sowa] .    If Cyc has not already solved problem X with their
ontology,
    what makes you think that your proposed ontology will solve X?    (04)

[PC] Because the issue isn't the quality of the ontology.  Cyc hasn't
focused enough effort on developing a **publicly available** application
that will demonstrate the utility of the ontology.  Because we already have
the benefit of a lot of Cyc's effort, which does not have to be reproduced,
we can focus on the missing parts.  In particular we need a good Natural
Language interface that can hold a coherent basic conversation. I do not
know exactly how much effort Cyc has spent on such an application, but in
spite of the asserted goal of 'commonsense reasoning', the evidence I have
seen is that most of their effort was diverted into very domain-specific
work.  Building an open community of users that can all contribute to the
common project is a very, very different development method than that used
by Cyc (any improvement directly benefits the contributor, who can use the
improved system freely).  The FO project will create a **scientific
community** of developers that have a common paradigm of meaning and of
natural language processing, who can evolve the integrated system
incrementally and that will have a much better chance of making progress
than any local group.  The development method is very different from any
available to a small commercial concern.    (05)

[Ed Barkmeyer] > Well, Pat, think of it this way.  The effort to create a
universal reference upper ontology with that kind of mandate will be about
power, not quality.  It will be primarily governed by money and politics,
not technical excellence, and not knowledge engineering in the field.  And
my 40+ years of experience warns me the result could be the Windows of upper
ontologies, and 10 years later we will have patched it into an upper
ontology that can just barely support most industrial applications.    (06)

[PC] Disagree, for three reasons:  (1) By having an ontology open to
modification and modular applications open to modification, the FO project
will have the capability of evolving to include any technical improvement
that anyone can think of;  Technical excellence is far more likely by this
tactic than with any local development project.  (2) The effect will be
precisely to avoid the compulsion effect of one commercial concern forcing
its preferences on a reluctant public by market power; the open community of
developers will be able to modify the ontology and applications of the FO
project rapidly, an effect completely closed to commercial projects like
those of Microsoft.  (3) Public Money will be important to get the project
started, but the development and maintenance will depend on many local
efforts, some of which may be paid for by local sources.  Since the ontology
and applications will be modular, volunteer effort on single parts will be
more practical, increasing the size of the developer base.    (07)

Pat    (08)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416