Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:42:16 -0400
Just a response here to one point:
[JS] > The full Cyc research ontology plus tools has been available to many
major universities, government agencies, and corporations (such as Bellcore,
Eastman Kodak, and even Microsoft).  The sponsors that paid the full amount
had a license to incorporate any or all of the Cyc ontology and tools in
their products.    (01)

[PC] This is an argument you have made many times, and my response is the
same as before:
  Such third-hand stories of what didn't happen are absolutely useless as
proof of anything.  To be useful, we need a  detailed description of what
was tried, the kind of effort that was made, the results of the effort, and
what was found to be inadequate about the ontology that made the effort
fail.  I will note that you have also mentioned some people at Microsoft who
tried using Cyc and disappeared from the scene, strongly suggesting that the
projects that were tried were very small and doomed to fail for that reason
alone.  If you have any substantive information about projects of reasonable
size (say, at least one-tenth the size of the Cyc effort itself) that
failed, please give us the details.  Otherwise, these repetitive anecdotes
add nothing to the discussion.    (02)

[JS] > To rephrase my question:  If the highly qualified researchers at all
those places were not able to find a way to use Cyc to solve the problems of
interoperability and other issues, please state in detail how your proposal
would solve those problems    (03)

[PC] (1) it will allow greater effort to be focused on a single ontology
application than has been done thus far, with equally or better qualified
researchers (being even more knowledgeable due to further development in the
field): and
(2) the effort and its results will be open to the public so that we can
actually learn what works and what is useful and what isn't, rather than
endlessly speculating about it with offhand unverifiable anecdotes.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416