Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:21:38 +0300

There is a good saying in Russia: the holy place is never empty. Since this respected Forum is unable to come to some joint decision on the "holy issue" of ontology standards, somebody else had to appear.

So there surfaced up some astute individuals, the esteemed [Barry Smith (US), Pat Hayes (US)] with their less known companions [Werner Ceusters (US), Frank Farance (US), Nicola Guarino (Italy)] to fill the holy place with their secret stuff. Barring SUMO, I've never heard of any convener of any systematic upper ontology, if only papers and articles. The ontologies proposed are of restricted importance, and hardly will make any useful standards, see the synopsis on STANDARD ONTOLOGY: the Standard Model of Reality, Representation and Reasoning,

What is to be done. By the next month the working draft of the MCO must be prepared. The sponsors could be asked to make the wide public known about the results; at least to find out the meanings of "Standardized concept systems", "Merged Core Ontology."

By 2009-06, upon studying the draft to send the Forum?s regrets or better replacement to the SC32/WG2  as a recommended standards project. That's it.

Some general reflections.  There are said many degrees of intelligence. But there are two broad types of intelligence: shrewdness, practical hardheaded intelligence, and intellectual brightness, high smartness. Astute folks are good in business dealings, intellectuals in big science, in searching truths about the world. Presently, the science is increasingly converting into a unique business activity, huge profits, zero risk, no any investments. More and more public funds go there, which you don't need to hardly earn. All what you need is to be sharp as a businessman, like the people from Ontoprise, selling their old software products to the EU several times as NeOn project, ONTORULE project; find yourself how else.

To head-off such bad squandering, i suggest for the politicians to accept a special Act on Research Fraud (going as an article in the contracts signed with the government):

[in case of false promises and fictitious delivery to consider large fines, the amount spent plus banking interests plus moral damages to the public]. Then, I believe, the quality of research projects will go high while the wild commercialization of science and intellectual minds might be stopped.

Azamat Abdoullaev

http://www.eis.com.cy