Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "\"A. J. Vizedom\"" <ajvizedom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:22:53 +0200
Amanda,    (01)

Thank you so much for all the wise reflections in your post below.    (02)

I make some extracts, and use each one to briefly spotlight a few of the
corresponding needles in my own haystack that I have allowed to expand
in such a regrettably ad hoc way:    (03)

> I would urge a different way of understanding upper ontology as
> practice, and upper ontologies as artifacts.  I thnk we've often got
> things the wrong way-round. And I don't mean a simplistic version of
> Bottom-up vs Top-down.  I am talking about emergence, but it seems to
> me essential that models be in development whereever people are driven
> to develop them.  The good decision points seem to be where models
> meet, top and bottom, bottom and top.  There is some very good reason
> not to let the top drive the bottom, in its initial development.*
> There is also reason to develop partial upper models independently.
> But the adequacy and correctness, not to mention usefulness (and its
> cousin, confirmability), of Upper Ontologies, and the formation of a
> whole, coherent one, if it will happen at all, must be a process of
> emergence from those meeting points.    (04)

As it happens, that is an excellent summary of where the "Ride The
Mainstream!" project comes from and is going to (as is traceable back
from my last major post now at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2009-04/msg00016.html, with
http://TheMainstream.info/ as a quick provisional introduction).    (05)

That heuristic strategy, cultivating emergence, is even implicit in the
project's name, evoking the all-inclusive process whereby greater
commonality, on a niche-wise basis, expressed as applied
ontologies/abstractions, is invented/discovered and further leveraged,
all in market mode, where the evolutionary Supply/Demand matching
captures the fascinating Top-down/Bottom-up duality you see is needed.
(Note how those 4 "/"-ed duals correspond.)    (06)

But to get there it's handy to have a framework and an infrastructure
which can efficiently support the process of needs-discovery
and -addressing in such a way that the process produces reusable
products.  As you say:    (07)

> The ordinary process of modeling the things, types, and relations in
> some chunk of world is given focus by a need.    (08)

Hence the market orientation reflected in
http://TheMainstream.info/Market.html.    (09)

Your entire emphasis on context, relativity and the key role of SMEs
slots in snugly with the IS application component architecture I have
waffled on so much about on Ontolog for the past 16 months or so.  I
have elsewhere made much of relativity (most distinct from relativism),
and of interoperation as transformation between viewpoints, with or
without the mediation of bridging axioms.    (010)

Finally, you close with this wish:    (011)

> I'd love to see us, the broader ontology and semantic technologies
> communities, putting more energy into such areas as comparison,
> testing, evaluation, and inter-ontology connections beyond full
> mapping and translation.  Maybe some of that energy we could get by
> putting less into attempting to agree on, or get people to adopt, any
> particular Upper Ontology.    (012)

That is what the architecture-canonical AOS-based infrastructure (of
networked Application Operating System-driven agents) is designed and
being programmed to do:  function as a collaborative IDE for the design,
building, testing and deployment of ontology-based applications.  It is
therefore based on a simple and provisional 'component reuse and
application interoperation' ontology, in effect defining a manageable
OOR infrastructure too.    (013)

The process will be a stepping-stone to ever greater and more applicable
ontology commonality, affording greater component reusability, where
required at the upper levels too.  But any such larger "upper" component
emerging from that market process will tend to follow before it can
lead.    (014)

Needless to say, building that infrastructure will also sort out that
haystack of mine, with the resulting collaborative medium presenting
those and many other needles so that everybody will be able to use them
easily and contribute to their further exponential growth.    (015)

So, Amanda, I look forward to your Riding The Mainstream too, in due
course, and meanwhile I re-invite anybody possibly so inclined to
consider climbing aboard sooner, onto that craft which we shall rebuild
together while afloat (to recall once again Otto Neurath's metaphor for
our philosophical predicament, which averts us so graphically and
memorably from the a priori foundationalism you have so well steered us
away from).    (016)

Christopher    (017)