Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:14:18 -0500
On Apr 17, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Ryan Kohl wrote:
> Azamat seems to be right - an ad hominem argument would be of the
> form "Statement X is true/false because person Y said Z"    (01)

Or "did Z" or "is a Republican" or ....  Basically, any attempt to
suggest Y's assertion is false by attacking Y's character or
questioning Y's motives is an ad hominem argument.  Also, I'd say that
you only want "false", rather than "true/false" above; an argument
that appeals to what Y said or did as a reason for the *truth* of X is
usually a so-called "appeal to authority".  Would you agree, Ryan?    (02)

> Suggesting that somebody is a hypocrite or inconsistent has the form
> "Person X is Y"
> So the latter doesn't indeed seem to be ad hominem.  Rather, it has
> the
> form of a personal attack, or slander.    (03)

Right.    (04)

-chris    (05)