Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:50:48 -0700
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> When people buy a dictionary, they get thousands of words they
> don't know -- that's the point.  For children and students who
> are learning a language, there are smaller learner's dictionaries.
> There are also specialized dictionaries for special applications,
> but it's important to ensure that all the special cases are
> compatible with the general framework.
>
> For beginners who don't want to see the clutter, I suggest that
> somebody should write an uncluttered primer with pointers to
> the "Big Book" for anybody who wants more.

The central theme underlying mKR/mKE is that humans choose
a view/ontology which is appropriate for their current purpose.
1. you can start with any ontology.
2. you can transform it by adding and deleting concepts.    (01)

To state this perspective a little differently --
mKR/mKE provides "concept formation" primitives which
"integrate" old concepts into new, more abstract concepts, and
"differentiate" old concepts into new, more specific concepts.    (02)

Dick McCullough
http://mkrmke.org    (03)