Re: [ontolog-forum] N3+, an N3-variant for units

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:22:12 -0400
Ed,    (01)

> We have made some effort at ontologies in this area, based in part on
> the International Vocabulary for Measurement, a publication of the
> Bureau Internationale des Poids et Mesures (BIPM):
>    http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html    (02)

Thank you for the link.  I understand more about "dimensional exponents"
(page 6).  That will be an important component of a tools that deal with
this topic, but I don't think that should be exposed to a normal human :-).    (03)

> We had this same problem with SI quantity(type) "time".  Technically,
> these terms should have URIs beginning with urn:iso:std:... that are
> identifiers for terms defined in ISO 31 and ISO 1000.  But between the
> W3C insistence on using http: to begin URIs and the ITU-T insistence on
> using urn:oid:<magic numbers>, I don't know what became of the iso
> prefix (I never saw the registration of the ISO URN on the IANA or IETF
> site).    (04)

If they consider the concept of a metre to be the intellectual property
of the ITU-T and they are using "urn:" URIs because they *don't* want a
web accessible, unencumbered definition, then I would warn them that
where there is a need, somebody will fill it, and they will have simply
cut themselves out of the semantic web.    (05)

I would be just as happy with a "http://unitsml.nist.gov/"; prefix, or a
"http://www.bipm.org/vim/"; one.    (06)

Joel    (07)