Re: [ontolog-forum] Requirements of computer language semantics

To: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:55:19 -0400
Duane,    (01)

you wrote:    (02)

> On 3/19/09 2:23 PM, "Ed Barkmeyer" <edbark@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  (a) most of the lock-in technology is added features that the standard
> doesn't specify at all; and
>
> Have you ever tried to write one CSS file and see it works across all
>browsers?  ...
>
> "Microsoft is tracking incompatible Web sites for its upcoming
> Internet Explorer 8 browser and has posted a list that now
> contains about 2,400 names - including Microsoft.com.
> Apparently, even though Microsoft's IE8 team is doing the
> 'right' thing by finally making IE more standards-compliant,
> they are risking 'breaking the Web' because the vast majority
> of Web sites are still written to work correctly with
> previous, non-standards-compliant versions of IE."    (03)

Thanks for this.  ;-)    (04)

A colleague of mine at Microsoft recently observed that the change in
upper management at Microsoft has resulted in some significant changes
in company policies.  You have observed one.    (05)

The principal source of problems (in my experience) is Front Page.    (06)

The relationship of Microsoft to Web technologies is a very special
case, with a 20-year history created by the prior presence of Mozilla in
the target market.  A number of other complaints about Microsoft fit
into category (b) -- designs built in ignorance of the significance of
the standard.    (07)

And because my email says NIST, disclaimer below notwithstanding, the
rest of my thoughts on this subject will remain unwritten. ;-)    (08)

-Ed    (09)

Heinlein's razor:
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance.    (010)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (011)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (012)