Re: [ontolog-forum] N3+, an N3-variant for units

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:22:56 -0400
Joel Bender wrote:    (01)

> the "I call this property/you call this an attribute" discussions, there
> is a common understand of "measure", and yet I have not found a
> consistent and strong way of representing it.    (02)

We have made some effort at ontologies in this area, based in part on
the International Vocabulary for Measurement, a publication of the
Bureau Internationale des Poids et Mesures (BIPM):
   http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html    (03)

It is, as you say, a difficult problem.    (04)

> For the purpose of this discussion I going to define a variant of N3 off
> the top of my head, I'll call it N3+ (if there is already an N3+
> language out there, I apologize).  N3+ is just like N3 except that the
> data type can be a unit of measure.
>
>      :joel ex:height "2.0"^^si:meter .    (05)

> So just like "2.0"^^xsd:float maps the character string "2.0" into the
> number 2.0, "si:meter" not only maps it to same numeric space as
> xsd:float but also to si:length as the UnitsML quantity "length" (which
> doesn't have a URI that I've been able to find).    (06)

We had this same problem with SI quantity(type) "time".  Technically,
these terms should have URIs beginning with urn:iso:std:... that are
identifiers for terms defined in ISO 31 and ISO 1000.  But between the
W3C insistence on using http: to begin URIs and the ITU-T insistence on
using urn:oid:<magic numbers>, I don't know what became of the iso
prefix (I never saw the registration of the ISO URN on the IANA or IETF
site).    (07)

> So my mission is to describe si:meter, using rdf/rdfs/owl serialization,
> that captures those concepts.    (08)

I applaud your effort.  Let us know when you have success.    (09)

-Ed    (010)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (011)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (012)