Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:33:22 +0200
 Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:48 PM, John wrote:
"For example, the axiom F=ma relates force, mass, and acceleration without
requiring any prior
definition of any of those three terms."
John,
I am in accord with many your sound judgments re. the efficiency of the SW
formal languages. But your interpretation of the fundamental law of
mechanics seems not so convincing. The laws of classical mechanics hardly
ever could be formulated without its fundamental concepts, such as matter,
energy, physical body, quantity, unit, dimension, force, motion, extended
from the top foundation classes as substance, state, change, relationship,
cause, duration, space.
The second law states F = (d/dt)P, that the Change of Motion of a Body is
Propotional (Relation) to the Force (Cause) applied. It took some effort to
define motion as momentum P. No scientific laws, including all the basic
laws of mechanics, classical and quantum, could be constructed without the
firm ontological background added with the mathematical axioms and the real
semantic formulas (designation, denotation and representation rules).    (01)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (02)