Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:03:56 -0600

On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Patrick Cassidy wrote:

John,
  Yes, you have completely misunderstood my proposal, and your description
of it shows why.
  I have not suggested creating a terminology by using words as
representatives of primitive concepts, and at no time have I *ever* confused
words or other terms with the concepts that they label, nor with the logical
representations of the concepts that they label.   I have suggested creating
a common foundation **ontology** that *includes* logical representations of
the concepts that are also represented by the Longman defining vocabulary.
The meanings of those logically represented concepts will be as unambiguous
as any logical representation can be, and their **computational behavior**
does not in any way depend on the human language used in the documentation,
nor on any errors in interpretation of that usage by humans who rely only on
the documentation.

Of course not: but whether or not that computational behavior is (considered by human users to be) correct will almost certainly depend upon this.

Any nuanced division/partition of a general concept
considered significant by any member of the consortium can also be included
(using a different label for each representation of a different meaning),
and the logical specification of each nuance of meaning will be different
from any other logical representation in the ontology.  The labels used for
the logical specifications are ***irrelevant***, except insofar as they can
help (or mislead) *human* readers in understanding the intended meanings and
computational behavior of the logical specifications; but the real meanings
are determined only by the logical specifications themselves.

I see what you mean, and your point here is of course well-known in KR circles, even in textbooks; but you need to be very careful at this point, when talking of "real meanings". If we assume that there are concepts AT ALL (never mind how they are encoded into English words), then whether any set of FOL axioms can fully capture those concepts is never certain. In some cases it clearly cannot. For example, take a country such as Wales, my homeland. The Welsh name for Wales is "Cymri". Now, you and I know that 'Cymri' denotes Wales, but no amount of first-order axiomatization is ever going to pin down the meaning of the name 'Cymri' so that it denotes Wales. And this is not because there are many different notions of Wales (geographical, historical, cultural, etc.), but because of Herbrand's theorem, which states that if any set of FOL axioms is satisfiable, then it has a model made entirely of symbols. So it is literally impossible to write enough FOL axioms to pin down "real meanings" when those real (intended) meanings are found in the physical world.

 The labels
can be gensyms (or can be replaced by pictures if the pictures could be used
as entity label in reasoning), without affecting the meaning of the logical
specifications.

Without affecting the logical meaning, yes. But that leaves open the central question of how those logical meanings relate to the "real meanings" or "intended meanings" or whatever we call the pre-theoretic intuitions which guide the construction of the axioms in the first place.

 This is ***not*** a terminology, nor is it any attempt to
fix on a controlled terminology.  The relations of the logical
specifications to human-language words are entirely dependent on the
preferred usage in different communities, and is a subject for natural
language understanding programs.  The ontology itself is independent of
language.  The focus on conceptual primitives is not a *requirement* for
creating an effective foundation ontology that is useful for translating
among multiple ontologies (or databases), but is a tactic that can help
focus the initial effort and minimize the size of the ontology that is the
initial goal.  As it gains in usage, the foundation ontology and all of the
other ontologies in the resulting lattice of theories can be expanded or
modified.

That observation is true for every formal ontology.  There
are no primitives.  There are just equations (or other
kinds of formulas) that relate the terms.  The words in
one theory and its successors are frequently the same
or similar.  But the equations that relate them are
very different.

 As Pat Hayes pointed out, all of his time theories can be "expressed by"
(Pat Hayes's phrase) axioms containing only three classes, time point, time
interval, and duration.  That is ***exactly** the same sense in which I have
said that a very large number of complex concepts (such as, but not
restricted to, concepts defined by necessary and sufficient conditions) or
theories can be represented as combinations of the primitive concepts.

Really? Then I have not been understanding you at all. And I fail to see quite how this squares with what you say above. Bear in mind that these various theories, while they all use the same concept names, are mutually incompatible. So to make them into a single coherent ontology, they have to be distinguished, using your guidelines, so that there will be  timepoint-simple, timepoint-linearorder, timepoint-glasscontinuum, etc. ., and similarly for the various order relations. The three 'primitive' concepts will generate perhaps ( I havn't checked in detail) 15 or so alternatives.

I agree that one could do this, but I fail to see the purpose. It seems to me both more honest and more useful to say that we have a number of alternative ontologies here, all describing the same small group of basic ideas or concepts, but describing them differently. Then there are indeed a small number of 'primitive' concepts, but multiple ontologies of them. Rather then one ontology with many alternative 'primitive' concepts, all very similar but subtly different, and all bearing the same rather diffuse relationship to the normal English words or intuitive ideas. When I think of time-intervals, it does not seem to be that I switch concepts when ignoring whether they are open or closed. Rather, a time-interval is what it is, and I can think about it in various ways.

 I am
using a different terminology than Pat Hayes, but I am expressing
**exactly** the same idea.  I go a little further, in suggesting that there
is likely a lot of benefit in identifying those basic concepts, not just for
the time theories, but for all the other theories and concepts in domain
ontologies that can be expressed by axioms using the basic concept
representations.  It is useful to distinguish the theories and complex
concepts that can be expressed by the basic concepts from the basic concepts
themselves, so as to minimize the number of concepts that can be included in
the first version of the FO.

If you think there are no such things as basic concepts that can be
distinguished from theories that are expressed by those basic concepts,
please argue the point with Pat Hayes, he has been saying the same thing
(using different words) for years.  He also seems to have persistently
misinterpreted what I have been suggesting - except that we may disagree on
the number of the basic concepts, not their existence - but I'm not sure of
that, because he hasn't yet acknowledged that the basic concepts he uses to
express his time theories are the same sort of thing as my "primitives"

Well, I now do not feel that I have any idea what you have been talking about. But I certainly don't think that the time concepts in the 'catalog' are particularly "primitive", or that other concepts can be described in terms of them. They are useful and ubiquitous, but that doesn't give them any special status other than being, well, useful and ubiquitous.  But if I look at a chunk of, say, Cyc, and see timeinterval concepts and many other concepts all related together by axioms, I don't see any useful or coherent way in which these time concepts stand out as in any way more 'primitive' than any others.

, and
he hasn't yet suggested an alternative term to label that class of things
(the class that contains representations of the concepts TimePoint,
TimeInterval, and Duration, but not the theories expressed by using those
concepts).

That sentence simply does not make sense. What kind of 'representations' are there when there are no theories (axioms) to relate the names together? The set {timeinterval, timepoint, before} is just a set of three character strings.

 None of that says that the different time theories, or any other logically
inconsistent set of alternative theories, can be made **logically
consistent** by finding these basic concept representations, nor can they be
"reduced" to each other.

Then what is the significance of this word "primitive" that you keep insisting upon?

 The relations of the theories can be discovered by
inspecting their different representations that use the same set of basic
concepts.  Logically inconsistent theories will be part of a lattice of
theories.  Just how much of the lattice should be maintained by the
consortium is for the consortium to decide.   What we don't know now, but
can discover by the consortium process, is just how large a group of
logically consistent ontology elements can be agreed on, whether they are
considered "basic" or not.  Learning this is something I feel certain will
help advance the art and science of ontology.  I think that knowing the
extent of agreement on the basic concepts will be better than not knowing,
even if there are some people who are not interested, and even if it turns
out that the number of "primitives" is actually unlimited.

This all presupposes what I have always thought to be false, that there actually is a set of 'primitive' concepts to be found. I challenge you to find anything I have written in past 20 years which suggest that I accept this notion. Other, of course, than in the reductio sense in which all the concepts in a FOL ontology are "primitive".

There probably are some genuine differences in our opinions on the issues we
have been discussing but they have been horribly confused by the
misinterpretations that you and Pat Hayes have been putting on the things I
have been saying.

Well, let me try to gain some clarity by stating some propositions with which we might agree or disagree. I will put in my current understanding of your and my positions as we go along.

1. Ontologies are first-order theories. (C, H)
2. Ontologies can be organized in a Sowa-ian lattice of theories (C, H)
3. There is, or could be, or should be, a single basic ontology on which all users will agree (C, ~H)
4. Ontological disagreements can be decided, in a large professional group, by voting. (C, ~H)
5. There is a meaningful relationship of being more primitive than, which holds between concepts in a (large enough) ontology (C, ~H)
6. The set of all 'most primitive' concepts in a meaningfully large ontology can be usefully related to Longman's dictionary (C, ~H)
7. Disagreements about the correctness of theories can often be understood as disagreements about content, and hence can be usefully resolved by allowing multiple versions of the concepts involved, thereby restoring formal consistency. (C, ?H)

where the '?' means that while I agree this can often be done, I don't think it is a useful strategy.  At best, it will produce a consistent ontology which nobody wants to use.

Overall, I wouldn't say that this amounted to a full agreement between us.

PatH

PatC

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.