Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:27:00 -0800
Mike,    (01)

[MB]I agree. Speaking as one of those people from that part of the world
that is not called America, we don't need Congress to make it all
happen. Some of us even helped the US to win WWII if I recall :-)    (02)

[RC]Thank you so much for your assistance in that trying time.     (03)

[MB]Where the action and the benefit is, as I see it, is in having something    (04)

that existing standards bodies (both industry standards bodies and ISO)
can use. Many of the standards groups have been using XML, and then UML,
and are starting to recognise that meaning is the problem not
technology. So there are plenty of examples, both as industry consortia
and ISO committees (and ISO has a mechanism for industry bodies as well
as countries to be involved in standards setting).    (05)

[RC] I don't expect standards to precede useful deployment of the technology
because I haven't seen standards precede any other technology demonstration.
If the value is there, standards will follow.  If standards precede
technology demonstration, history says they will be de minimus.      (06)

-Rich     (07)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com    (08)