Re: [ontolog-forum] (no subject)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:58:00 -0600

On Jan 21, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> Dear Pat,
>
> <snip>
>>> Pat
>>> Hayes cannot have members, whereas the class of Welshmen can and
>> does.
>>
>> It is natural at first blush, but it gets quite hard to keep it up
>> for
>> an extended length of time. For example, one way to reconcile the
>> temporal fights is to introduce the notion of a series of time-
>> snapshots of a 4D entity, this being the nearest thing in the 4D
>> world
>> to a 3D continuant. If you do that to (the 4-D) Pat Hayes, then I
>> become the set of my instantaneous snapshots. Now, I am quite happy
>> be thought of this way, and it is sometimes very useful. But if we
>> have a logically rigid distinction between things with members and
>> things without, then this violates a fundamental partitioning of the
>> universe. LIke the continuant/occurrent distinction, this dichotomy
>> seems natural but in fact just gets in the way when one gets down to
>> serious ontology engineering. One of the great merits of the CL
>> absolute type freedom is that it imposes no a priori logical
>> obstacles
>> to such re-conceptualizations of entities.
>
> [MW] Whilst acknowledging of course that the set of your 4D slices
> is a
> valid object, I would have hoped you would have seen yourself as the
> aggregate (and hence still a 4D extent) of them rather than as an
> abstract
> set.    (02)

Well, I do prefer the 4D version of me, but I'm willing to be a set if
that helps communicate things better. The real point here is not what
Pat Hayes *really* is, but whether the logic helps or hinders attempts
to resolve awkward ontological mismatches. I guess you have to be
there to fully understand, but it is amazingly liberating to be able
to have one entity 'be' a wide variety of kinds of thing as the
axiomatic occasion demands.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)