Re: [ontolog-forum] Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:18:52 -0500
Ian,
Re:
[IB]
> nations. The initial approach we took is very similar to the one
> suggested
> by John below...and it was a miserable failure. If you try to work
> concept-by-concept, it's doomed to failure. You can never be sure that
> you
> have full consensus between everyone in the room, because you can't be
> sure
> that one person's understanding of a concept is precisely the same as
> another's (no matter how long you debate it). One of two things happen;
> you
> make no progress because you can't reach agreement, or one dominant
> personality railroads the whole thing.     (01)

   I agree.  That's why the "meaning" of an ontology element can only be its
logical specification, and how that behaves in inference.  People donlt
"agree" or "disagree" on the meaning of an ontological specification, they
observe (or do thought experiments) how it will behave in inference.  Its
inferential behavior is its only "meaning".
  If different competent ontologists (say, A, B, and C) want different
logical structures to be labeled with the same label (say, "Blegd"), no
problem.  The different structures are given different labels.  e.g.
Blegd-A, Blegd-B, and Blegd-C (each of which is mapped to "Blegd" in a
different terminology).  The results don't depend on consensus for
terminology usage and the debates don't go on forever, they are resolved
rapidly by voting if issues more complicated than that trivial one arise.
   In the consortium project I have suggested, all participants will be
aware before starting of the procedures used to resolve disputes, and if
they don't like the procedures, they don't participate.  I am still certain
that there will be enough willing participants to form a large enough user
community for the resulting ontology to assure that it is more widely used
than any other foundation ontology.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416