Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 22:33:22 -0500
Rich,
Numbered responses to a few points:
(1) > But getting multiple organizations to use the SAME vocabulary in their
> agents is the issue we're discussing.  So I'm guessing, in the
> above, that you mean multiple agents from different organizations,
> preferably those without political cross relationships.  I don't see that
> happening in the current circumstances.  It simply isn't a practical, cost    (01)

> effective approach for the organizations.

The agents can be within an organization or among different organizations.
Inside an organization it is a lot easier to standardize on semantics,
especially for small domains.  The big challenge is among multiple
organizations.      (02)

 . . .  but:
> [RC] I don't see that happening in the current circumstances.      (03)

So, you think that the notion of multiple agents accessing services on the
"semantic web" is so hopelessly far in the future that it is not worthwhile
trying to find a way to make it work right now?    (04)

(2) > [RC]  At this time in 2009, only small groups use the same ontology.
  >   Unlike natural languages, it isn't necessary, or even useful to have
  > your competitors use the same vocabulary.
  A common language is useful for those people who want to communicate.
Those who don't want the world to know what they are saying do not influence
development of the language.  Of course, it will be used by those who find
it useful - the others are irrelevant.    (05)

(3) > [RC] > Computer science standards have emerged when there are
competitors, and
> one customer is large, and economically equipped to demand consistent
> interfaces from all partners.    (06)

  That is just one possible path to emergence of a common ontology, and
hardly the only path.  But (a) it hasn't happened yet for a foundation
ontology; (b) it may take a *very* long time to emerge that way; (c) we can
accelerate the process dramatically by finding a common ontology that is
technically satisfactory to a large community; and (d) every year of delay
causes large economic losses due to inefficiency in integrating currently
implemented databases - losses well in excess of the cost of making a
serious effort to get a common foundation ontology.  Local solutions do not
address the global problem, and could be created easier if there were a
general ontology known to be suitable for many different applications.    (07)

(4) [RC] > User communities generally don't like being kick-started.
 This may be a valid observation about *some* user communities you are
familiar with, but I have participated in enough discussions of this topic
with enough people to know that, **if funding were available to support
their participation** a majority of those who have an interest in semantic
interoperability would in fact participate in such a project.  One driving
factor is that, **if enough funding were available to create a significant
probability of success** few of those who have been concerned about the
semantic interoperability problem would want to be left out of having any
influence in the creation of the standard.  Most of us think we have
something to contribute to such a standard, but can only work on it if the
funding we get for other activities that take up significant time is
replaced by finding for such a common project.  We know from the SUMO effort
that few people have enough spare time to put in the hours it takes to
master the complexities of a proposed foundation ontology, and suggest
logically consistent additions.  Getting enough funding is the key.  If we
create a standard by a process that hasn't been used before, it should come
as no surprise that you haven't noticed such a process before.  Your
argument seems to be "X hasn't been done by process P therefore X cannot be
done by process P".  What I know is that  there are a lot of people willing
to participate in such a project, **if it is properly funded**.  That
doesn't guarantee success, but it does provide a plausible path in the
absence of any credible alternative that can occur within our lifetimes.    (08)

Pat    (09)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416