Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:54:16 -0000
Dear Ron,    (01)

> I think that there might be justification for certain industry groups
> get together to produce their own "standard" ontologies.
> The 100 guys in a room model will work if each guy shows up with his
> organization's $100,000.
> Then you know that there is a problem to be solved and a commitment to
> at least consider using the results.    (02)

[MW] This is pretty much what has happened with both the STEP (ISO 10303)
family of standards, and the ISO 15926 family.

> Without that, I am afraid that the output will be another unused
> system.    (03)

[MW] Both get significant use within their communities, and have more
than paid their way.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)