Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:46:50 +0000
Respectfully I think you are barking up the wrong tree - or rather you
are barking down the tree rather than up it.    (01)

Most industries have efforts aimed at standardizing terms and
definitions. The use of XML as a common EDI standard has given such
efforts a real boost, and in doing this most of them have discovered
that XML is not the answer, or rather that they have been framing the
question wrongly.    (02)

As a result there should now be the appetite and the budget to solve the
real problem of data interoperability and enterprise data management.
The last message these industry groups need to hear is that a bunch of
some unknown new creature called ontologists is going to come along and
solve the same problem all over again.    (03)

Meanwhile there is the legacy of these various EDI standards and data
models that now cry out for some business-led governance if they are to
survive going forward. Explaining this problem is easy and doesn't need
any O-words in the text. Indeed, in the EDM Council efforts, we
generally explain the entire project to business stakeholders without
once mentioning ontology. It's things and facts, just what they needed
all along.    (04)

Mike    (05)

--
Mike Bennett