Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:40:06 -0500
Rich,  As I mentioned before, a foundation ontology is a very different kind
of standard that those that have been adopted before, and analogies areas
likely to mislead as to enlighten.  If we must use an analogy, the
foundation ontology can be viewed as a language for computers to share
information.  Unfortunately. "language" has been used in computer science to
describe *grammars*, without any significant built-in vocabulary.  For
computer languages, the built-in vocabulary deals with objects inside a
computer; how they represent things *outside* the computer depend
idiosyncratically on the individual programmer.  A full language, including
the basic vocabulary , is useful mostly for communication among agents.  To
be useful there need to be multiple agents that communicate using the
language.  But adopting a language by a natural process of accumulation of
users (from the first two) can be a very long process - it probably took
thousands of years for human languages to evolve their current ability to
describe the world.  We can do it a lot faster if we kick-start the user
community by having a large group of developers and users agree on the basic
vocabulary.  It can evolve from that point, but to evolve, anything has to
first survive.  Having a starting community of over a hundred users gives
the standard a chance to survive and show its capabilities.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416