Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Next steps in using ontologies as standards

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Francis McCabe <frankmccabe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:48:45 -0800
Ed:
  The type checker alone on a reasonable system is typically twice as
hard as the lexing and parsing combined. This is especially so if you
need to support any form of type inference (which all modern strongly
typed languages do to some extent).
  As it happens, I am currently working on a compiler. The approx line
number count is (in lines of Java):    (01)

Tokenizer: 850
Parser (yacc equiv): 950
Type checker: 5000
Code transform (src->src level optimization): 1000
Compiler (semantic transform): 1200    (02)

The compiler is still in its early stages, with very little code
generation and very little in the way of optimizations implemented.
But already, there is a 7-2 ratio in post parsing to parsing code.    (03)

As for my nice :) most of the compilers I wrote are in the AI
languages space. Currently I am working on a language for complex
event processing.    (04)

Frank    (05)

On Jan 6, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:    (06)