|From:||"Stavros Macrakis" <macrakis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>|
|Date:||Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:22:57 -0500|
>The history of technology is littered with forgotten standards which lost out to de facto standards.
The bad thing is the following sequence:...
There are many failure modes:
1) A standard is developed, and multiple incomplete and incompatible implementations coexist indefinitely.
2) A company develops a specification which it submits to standards organizations. Its competitors then make sure that the standard version is different enough that the original company can't benefit from its existing implementation.
3) A standard is developed, but most implementations are based on a (buggy or incomplete) open-source implementation.
4) Multiple standards are developed and implemented: "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." (Andy Tanenbaum)
5) A standard is developed, and each vendor implements a large set of proprietary enhancements.
6) A standard is developed, but its specification is not complete enough/explicit enough/accurate enough that any two conforming implementations will actually interoperate.
7) A perfect standard is developed, but takes so long to develop that some proprietary technology already owns the market.
etc. etc. etc.
_________________________________________________________________ Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/ Subscribe/Config: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontolog-forum/ Unsubscribe: mailto:ontolog-forum-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/ Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ To Post: mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (01)
|<Prev in Thread]||Current Thread||[Next in Thread>|
|Previous by Date:||Re: [ontolog-forum] electric sheep, John F. Sowa|
|Next by Date:||Re: [ontolog-forum] Please thread the discussion, John F. Sowa|
|Previous by Thread:||Re: [ontolog-forum] Please thread the discussion, Ed Barkmeyer|
|Next by Thread:||Re: [ontolog-forum] Please thread the discussion, John F. Sowa|
|Indexes:||[Date] [Thread] [Top] [All Lists]|